My best friend is going into the army. She leaves for basic on Monday. I got the privilege to spend the weekend with her before she leaves. She's scared and excited about this crazy journey she has embarked on. We were laying in bed talking about writing letters back and forth. She was in the middle of telling me all the things I can send her and than she turned to me and said the only book she would like sent to her if any would be her bible if she didn't bring it along with her. She said that's really the only book allowed there. I was a little shocked to hear that. Than she said to me,"If I have to kill someone in war, will I still go to heaven?" I was a little puzzled by this and responded only if... than she cut me off and asked "How do I know if I'm going to heaven" So I told her the hard cold facts about it all. Than she asked "Why is all sin equal in God's eyes?" That's one question I could not answer. Than she later proceeded to ask "Are we ever going to be good enough to go to heaven?" Honestly I don't know the answer to that so I looked it up in my bible and this is what I found.
To determine if you are good enough to make it to Heaven, take a look at the Ten Commandments (Exodus 20:1-17) These laws were set up by God as a code of conduct we need to live by. How well do you think you have followed them?
The Ten Commandments
You shall have no other gods before me
You shall not make for your an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below you
You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God
Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy
You shall not murder
You shall not commit adultery
You shall not steal
You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor
You shall not covet your neighbor's house
You shall not covet your neighbor's wife, or his manservant or maidservant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor
So, how did you do? If God were to judge you based on the Ten Commandments on Judgment Day, do you think you will be declared innocent or guilty? Will you be sent to Heaven or Hell? When you compare yourself to other people, you may think you are a very good person. But remember, we will be judged based on God's standard, not our own. You don't have to break all these laws to be a lawbreaker. All it takes is one violation (James 2:10). If we are honest, most of us would have to admit to breaking God's laws hundreds if not thousands of times.
You may think that because God is good, He will overlook your sins.Think about how much more righteous God is. God knows every single wrong thought and deed you have ever committed and you will be accountable. If God is truly good, He must punish liars, murderers, rapists, thieves, adulterers, fornicators, drunkards, blasphemers, and those who have lived in rebellion to God (1 Corinthians 6:9-10, Revelation 21:8).
Fair Punishment: The penalty for rebellion against God is eternity in Hell. Perhaps that seems too harsh if you don't consider yourself as bad as other people.
There is Hope:God gave us a conscience to convict us of our sins. But, there is good news for you. God loves you so much that He sent His son Jesus Christ to pay the price for your sins by dying on a cross (John 3:16, Romans 5:8). Then, He rose again from the grave to conquer death for all mankind. He lived a sinless life and died in your place. His death satisfied the wrath of God (John 3:36) that was due for you. The way you respond to these facts will determine where you spend eternity.
Remember, you can never earn a place in Heaven by performing good works, but only by God's grace (Ephesians 2:8-9). None of us deserve to go to Heaven. The Bible says that our good deeds are like filthy rags (Isaiah 64:6). Heaven is a gift from God because of His incredible mercy and kindness.
Perhaps you agree that you are guilty of breaking God's laws and you believe that Jesus Christ died on a cross for your sins. It isn't enough to just believe these things are true (James 2:19). You must now put your belief into action. You may be thinking that you will wait until after you die and ask God for His forgiveness then. At that point it will be too late and you will be sent to Hell forever.
You must repent from your sins and personally put your trust in Jesus Christ as the One who paid the price for your sin and rose again to defeat death and redeem mankind. Confess to God that you broke his law and ask for forgiveness for sinning against Him. Trust Him as your Lord and Savior. You will be born again and made into a new creation. Is there anything more important than knowing where you will end up after you die?
Is there anything else I should add to this so I can send it to her when she's at basic? Also a little request pray for her because she doesn't know Jesus.
This is great Rachel.
ReplyDeleteI am praying for her.
ReplyDeleteI agree. This is really great, Quasty
ReplyDelete