Thursday, May 31, 2012

A lesson well learned

So I have been noticing for a while that I'm a very impatient person. So in response to that I did what many people should do and asked God for patience's. I have been praying for a while for this and have well gotten the chance to practice being patience. School has just ended for us kids over here. This means that at the daycare (where I work) has the kids rotate into new rooms for the summer or the kids that are able attend school finally get into the summer program. Now here's where my patients has come in handy. We have a kid that goes there that is Autistic. If you don't know what Autism is well here you go: Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) is a range of complex neurodevelopment disorders, characterized by social impairments, communication difficulties, and restricted, repetitive, and stereotyped patterns of behavior.

Now when I first heard about this I had some what of a clue what it was but didn't really understand it. Now the first day I worked with him I was over whelmed and upset that out of the 50 kids I watch on a daily bases that only one kid would not listen to me. I had to tell him so many times not to climb up the slide, run over the younger kids, hit people...etc. I had enough of this kid by about 4:30 p.m. and I still had an hour and a half left of my shift. So I did what ever other teacher did there and took the kid up front so I didn't have to deal with him.

He walked up to the front with me; going through every single room along the way. I had to chase him out of almost every single room. By the time we had got to the drinking fountain he knew that I was going to leave him up front because I no longer wanted to deal with him. He yelled, kicked, and screamed that he did not want to stay up there. By this point I could no longer take him so I grabbed my co-worker and asked her to help get this kid to sit down. She tried to help but he kept getting up and running around screaming. He was causing a big scene in front of the other parents. I walked over to him and had to physically restrain him down. I sat on the ground and held him in my lap. I didn't say a single word to him for about five minutes. I just let him yell and scream and try to get run away from him. Lucky for me I'm a lot stronger than he was so he couldn't get anywhere. Than finally it hit me I should talk to this kid and see why he's so upset. So after all this I just talked to this kid and asked him what he wanted. He had finally calmed down. Crazy after a full day of no one understanding him because everyone else didn't want to deal with him. All he wanted was someone to listen to him. Simple answer but no one gave him the time of day. So what all have I learned from this? This is what I learned. If God can be patient with me, than I can be patient with this kid or anybody else around me.

Pray for patience. God will help you keep your cool when you feel you're about to lose it
Good things do come to those who wait.
Benefits of waiting on God (Psalm 40:1-3)
God encourages us to be patient and think before we speak (Proverbs 15:8)
Love is patient (1 Corinthians 13:4)

2 comments:

  1. Emily Walrod31 May, 2012 12:19

    Autism is such a hard thing to work with sometimes but patience and a listening ear can go a long way. So glad that you are working with kids...I bet they love you to death.

    ReplyDelete