Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Godly Fathers

I'm going to let you guys inside a little of my personal life. I'm seeing someone, and he has a daughter. Don't judge (If you want to know more just ask).I know I know most of you are probably freaking about what I just said, well there's a reason why I told you this. There is one thing I don't like about him, it's the way he fathers his own child. Now I know I don't know anything about being a parent, but I do know/ have been told how a father should act.
Godly Fathers are Godly Men:
It's not fair to say to a child," Do as I say, not as I do" than just bail out. Children must be able to see example of Christ in their fathers.Paul says to his spiritual children in 1 Corinthians 11:1, "Be imitators of me, just as I also am of Christ." Until men by faith follow in the example of Christ themselves, they cannot be godly examples for their own children

Godly fathers love their children unconditionally:
 I think of the father of the prodigal son who stood waiting and watching for his son to return to him (Luke 15:20). When he finally did return, the father didn’t judge the son or force him to earn back his favor, love, and approval. He simply embraced him and threw a celebratory party for his son (Luke 15:21-24). He could do this because his love for his son wasn’t based upon what his son could do for him but simply and strictly upon the fact that he was his son.

Godly fathers train their children how to love and honor God:
The willingness and ability to train in righteousness is the call of every godly father. Kids aren’t stupid. In fact, they are a lot smarter than most parents give them credit for. They can tell when religious rituals are empty or hypocritical, and even though the child might come to know the Bible inside and out, he or she will likely develop a hatred or bitterness towards Christianity if the only Christianity the child knows is vain and ugly.Discipline reinforces these realities through imposing consequences. But it must be evident to the children when they are being disciplined that the father’s love for them has not changed. Discipline is never aligned with wrath because it is kindness that leads to repentance (Romans 2:4). Discipline is simply another expression of love (Deuteronomy 8:1-6, Hebrews 12:6).
Godly fathers seeks to give his children good gifts such that his children are blessed through him:
Of course, love and discipline and the training of the Lord in righteousness are blessings of eternal value, but godly fathers go beyond just spiritual gifts to seeking to give good gifts of all kinds. Spoiling is not the purpose of giving good and perfect gifts. Rather, the purpose of such provisions and blessings is the security that God cares about us perfectly and intimately. Knowing that He knows what we need and that He cares about what we want and hope for is so important in our relationship with Him. In the same way, earthly fathers should seek to be in tune with what their children hope for, desire, and need such that they can wisely meet and address those needs and wants. A father’s wisdom is a blessing and security to his children as they can trust what he does for them and gives to them.

1 comment:

  1. Your observations about a Godly father are good. I like how you drew all of it from scripture.

    However you said "There is one thing I don't like about him, it's the way he fathers his own child."

    A man that can't father/love his own children very well will most likely not be any different to a wife.

    ReplyDelete