Saturday, March 19, 2011

Hope

Oh my gosh such a great mission trip. Where to even start? Well we went to Des Moines and helped out at Hope Ministries. Its like a recover center for homeless people. We got to Des Moines kinda late Friday night so we didnt have time for chapel, but we got to hang out with the youth at the church. It was so much fun haning out with the kids and meeting new people, but that wasnt even the exciting part. As the night grew on I actually got to talk to some people that go to my church, that I dont know well. It was amazing getting to talk to these kids about where their at their walk of faith and what they wanted to get out of the trip. Anyway Saturday morning we started off our day meeting a guy named David. David was pretty amazing and funny but easly side tracted. David brought in a guy named John that was going through the recovery program. We were the very first ones to hear John's testimony. Oh my gosh...his story was so inspiring. He talked openly about his life and the choices he made. Even through all he had been through he found God. It just amazes me that someone like him found God and still believes in him through thick and thin. And someone like me has a hard time trusting him and believing he does everything for a reason. Ahh i just cant even conceptualize how much his testimony hit me.  Ahh words can't explain I really wish I could tell you guys. I really recammend if your struggling with your walk of faith that you go to someone that has nothing and hear their story about how they found God. Now im not gonna lie and say that going their made me feel bad, it sure did. But honestly it makes me appricate things in my life alot more. Im very thankful for the friends and family i have and the matrial things too. I know that I had to shut my phone off for only three hours and I thought I would go crazy. But after having it off for like and half and hour I totally forgot about it. It's amazing how homeless people dont even think about this kinda stuff all they care about is if their gonna have a place to stay the night or even have a meal to eat. Today wial we prayed for John he started praying for all of us. Now that says alot someone like him who has nothing is worrying about someone like me, even though I have more than I could ever need. Now personally I want to become like John. I would love to not care about myself as much as I care about myself. I would love to care more about others and not worry what others think of me...man this has hit me so hard I cant even finish this blog. Sorry to leave you guys hanging.

2 comments:

  1. I loved hearing about this tonight at Duos. Hopefully next time I will be able to come along. Keep John's story dear to your heart as a reminder in your own personal journey. His legacy will be lived through you because of God's wonderful grace and power.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking the same thing you were when trying to write about this weekend. I just know whatever I wrote sounds pretty trivial compared to what we all experienced. And you're right, we need to count our blessings. There is no reason we aren't in John's situation.

    ReplyDelete