Today is a day where our past, present, and future all meet. Our parents and
teachers deserve credit for seeing us this far; we are responsible for what
happens next.
Sitting in front of the stage in that hot gym, I must admit that I was not listening to the commencement speaker. Instead, I was thinking about the moment when my name would be called to receive my diploma and how important it would be to look as cool as possible walking across the stage. I anticipated hearing the crowd cheer and maybe pumping my fist in the air as I walked across the stage. Then it happened; someone called out “Rachel Sujatha Quast.”.
As the words of Jesus, "It is Finished" I'm finally done with my high school career. I'm not going to write much about graduation because there's way to much to share. I will how ever share with you my two favorite gifts I got for graduation. The first one I got was called, " My First 60 Days after High School Preparing for my college life" One of my best friends mom made it for me. It's a personal devotional that she wrote for herself when she was getting ready to go to college. It's filled with all of her stories and struggles she went through. I'm excited to get started on this devotional. My second favorite gift wasn't really a gift I can use. It's a great reminder. I will type up the note that came with the money that I got from my teacher Mr. Burrow.
"Our time together in this classroom is ending, but I have one last thing I want to leave you with:
Several years ago a very good family friend sat down with me and handed me a $20 bill. He told me that I should always keep it with me, but it wasn't for me to spend. he said that any time I came across someone that had a need: I should use that money to help them out. I should then replace it so I was always ready to help someone else.
This was a very meaningful to me at the time and still affects me to this day. I have to admit I have never given away that bill. Not because I haven't helped anyone-I have. I just keep that bill to remind me that I always need to be available to make the world a better place, with my money, my time, and my energy.
The amount isn't that important, it's the message that matters. Don't spend this money on yourself. Wait until you come across someone whose need is greater than yours- then you can use it. Or you can do like i have and hold onto it to remind you to always use the resources you are blessed with to make the world better than you found it.
Thanks for being a blessing in my life. You have amazing opportunities ahead of you. Don't waste a single day!"
Thanks Mr. Burrow I will cherish this letter forever.
Great post. That is a cool story.
ReplyDeleteThanks for using this as a reminder for us as well.
ReplyDeleteAwesome story! :)
ReplyDelete